Subject: bug#54802: OClosure: Make `interactive-form` a generic function

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:00:58 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:38:47 -0400
> 
> > I'm sorry, but I think the cleanest fix is too much to pay for a minor
> > feature such as this one.
> 
> I don't see much price to pay here.

See below.

> Am I the only here who finds that defining `interactive-form` as
> an ELisp generic function is, in itself, a good idea (not good enough
> to do it without a good reason, but something I put on the side of
> "advantages" rather than "defects" when assessing my patch)?

Maybe you aren't the only one, but I don't share that opinion.  And in
this particular case, I don't even consider the reason to be anywhere
near "good enough".

> > Can't you find a less intrusive way of fixing these issues, one that
> > doesn't affect all of Emacs for the benefit of one or two packages of
> > minor importance?
> 
> Not sure what you mean by "affect all of Emacs".  It affects
> a well-delimited (and small) part of the code.

It is called outside of the advice functions.

> Are you worried about introducing bugs, about the performance impact,
> or something else?

All of them.  And again, the reason doesn't seem to justify the risks,
not IMO.