Subject: bug#54787: importer Bioconductor: no tarball, only Git

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:03:37 +0200

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 15:57, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 13:43, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> We probably should *not* use RELEASE_3_14 (or whatever) as the commit,
>>> though, because that is a moving target.  We need to resolve to the
>>> actual commit and use its hash.

[...]

>> Do we follow ’master’?  Is it a mirror of what Bioconductor names their
>> 3.14 release?
>
> We should not follow “master”.  That’s the development branch.  We
> should follow the current release branch.

To be sure to well understand you, you point is to have something like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  (define* (bioconductor-git-reference name #:key commit)
    (git-reference
     (url (string-append %bioconductor-git-url name))
     (commit commit))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

with an explicit commit for each package definition, right?

> Doesn’t Guile-Git support shallow clones?  In any case, this should not
> be an obstacle for us.  Ensuring long-term reproducibility is more
> important than space savings.

No, since libgit2 does not support it, IIUC.

<https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/issues/3058>

Cheers,
simon