Subject: Re: bug#54786: Installation tests are failing

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 11:54:09 +0200

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

>  gnu/build/dbus-service.scm | 212 ++++++++++++++++
>  gnu/build/jami-service.scm | 390 +++++------------------------
>  gnu/local.mk               |   1 +
>  gnu/packages/glib.scm      |  19 +-
>  gnu/services/telephony.scm | 500 +++++++++++++++++--------------------
>  gnu/tests/telephony.scm    | 412 +++++++++++++++---------------
>  6 files changed, 726 insertions(+), 808 deletions(-)
>  create mode 100644 gnu/build/dbus-service.scm

Before going further, I’d like to understand: this does more than just
fix the Jami system tests, right?

It would have been nice to have surgical changes to “just” fix the
tests, along the lines of <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/54786#9>,
possibly followed by a rework of the whole machinery, if that’s
possible.

Besides, I think we should talk to Jami upstream (which shouldn’t be too
hard :-)).  It doesn’t seem reasonable to me to have 800+ lines of code
in the distro to start one service.  Usually the ‘start’ and ‘stop’
methods are between 2 and 10 lines of code.

What do you think is missing upstream so that starting Jami is simpler?

Thanks,
Ludo’.