Subject: bug#54786: Installation tests are failing

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:02:07 +0200

Hey Ludo,

> I pushed something along these lines as
> 73eeeeafbb0765f76834b53c9fe6cf3c8f740840.

Thanks for the fix! The jami and jami-provisioning tests are also broken
because of what looks like to be the same issue:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
One does not simply initialize the client: Another daemon is detected
/gnu/store/01phrvxnxrg1q0gxa35g7f77q06crf6v-shepherd-marionette.scm:1:1718: ERROR:
  1. &action-exception-error:
      service: jami
      action: start
      key: match-error
      args: ("match" "no matching pattern" #f)
Jami Daemon 11.0.0, by Savoir-faire Linux 2004-2019
https://jami.net/
[Video support enabled]
[Plugins support enabled]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I think we don't have the right approach here: we should check that the
system tests are passing before pushing series and not adapt the tests
afterwards.

Historically this was difficult because the system tests were often in a
semi-broken state. Before the Shepherd update the tests were however all
passing (modulo rare intermittent failures).

As it's not always obvious what's going to break the system tests and
what's not (simple package update can easily break them), it would be
really nice to have mandatory commit verification.

The mumi/cuirass gateway that has already been discussed could really
help us here. If some people are motivated, we could split the work and
introduce such a mechanism.

Thanks,

Mathieu