Subject: bug#5478 closed by Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#5478: 23.1.91; Cannot use dired with cons DIRNAME arg if include remote files)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:12:02 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#5478: 23.1.91; Cannot use dired with cons DIRNAME arg if include remote files

It has been closed by Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
5478: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5478
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#5478: 23.1.91; Cannot use dired with cons DIRNAME arg if include remote files
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:11:17 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> I could reproduce it with gnu/linux. Fixed in ange-ftp.el and
> tramp.el. Some cosmetics in dired listing layout might be left, I'm not
> familiar with this.
>
> I haven't tested it for W32.

Remote files are handled correct now, also under W32 (according to the
OP). The bug is closed therefore.

During the tests, two other bugs have been detected, bug#5516 and
bug#5551. They are not related to remote files in particular, therefore
they shall be treated independently.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 23.1.91; Cannot use dired with cons DIRNAME arg if include remote files
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:40:15 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -Q

I load these two files:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/cygwin-mount.el
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/setup-cygwin.el

I use ftp as `tramp-default-method' (I gave up trying to use Tramp with
ssh on Windows).

But probably none of that is important. What follows is what matters.

M-: (dired '("foo" A B))

where A is an (absolute) remote file name and B is an (absolute) local
file name.  For example, A could be
"/zizi.bar.toto.com:/some/path/titi.el", and B could be
"c:/another/path/tata.el".

The Dired buffer that results shows file B normally:
it is correctly listed using its absolute file name.
The buffer is correctly named "foo".

The listing shows file A incorrectly, however. It shows A as a relative
file name, instead of showing it as an absolute, remote file name. IOW,
the remote directory information is lost.

And hitting RET on A's line in Dired raises this error: "File no longer
exists; type `g' to update dired buffer".  That message is
inappropriate, obviously.  And `g' does not help.

This is really too bad.  It is _very_ convenient to use Dired with an
explicit list of files, e.g. files from different directories.  It would
be especially convenient to be able to mix local and remote files this
way.

And according to the Dired doc, this should work.  It almost does.  In
fact, the file line for the remote file is otherwise correct - e.g. the
date/time, permissions, etc.  The only problem seems to be that the
directory itself is missing: the file name is displayed as a relative
name.  If it were displayed as absolute, I'm guessing it would work 100%.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-01-02 on PRETEST
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'