Subject: bug#54770: closed (Re: bug#54770: Non-root LUKS devices unusable after Shepherd upgrade)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:19:01 +0000

Your bug report

#54770: Non-root LUKS devices unusable after Shepherd upgrade

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54770: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54770
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54770: Non-root LUKS devices unusable after Shepherd upgrade
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 18:18:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Following the Shepherd upgrade in commit
> 400c9ed3d779308e56038305d40cd93acb496180, attempts to open non-root LUKS
> devices from a Shepherd service fail with this cryptsetup message:
>
>   Nothing to read on input.
>
> This is because standard input is now /dev/null so it cannot read the
> passphrase.

Fixed with these commits:

  f239b9d788 tests: Add "encrypted-home-os" installation test.
  dcb0e54a4f file-systems: Invoke fsck tools with 'system*/tty'.
  931f13840b mapped-devices: Ensure 'cryptsetup open' gets a tty.

Ludo’.

Subject: Non-root LUKS devices unusable after Shepherd upgrade
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 18:33:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

Following the Shepherd upgrade in commit
400c9ed3d779308e56038305d40cd93acb496180, attempts to open non-root LUKS
devices from a Shepherd service fail with this cryptsetup message:

  Nothing to read on input.

This is because standard input is now /dev/null so it cannot read the
passphrase.

This is because “shepherd.conf” now does:

    (start-in-the-background …)

    (redirect-port (open-input-file "/dev/null")
                   (current-input-port))

… meaning that ‘redirect-port’ is now called before services are
started.

‘fsck’ invocations for non-root file systems (started from Shepherd
services) would have the same problem.

I’ll try and come up with a solution…

Ludo’.