Subject: bug#54751: Parted 3.4 complains about the partition layout of ChromeOS: "Can't have overlapping partitions"

From: Steven Shiau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:20:56 +0800

Dear developers,
We encountered an issue that parted 3.4 complains about the partition 
layout of ChromeOS: "Can't have overlapping partitions".
The details are described in the end of this mail. If we use the script 
mode, then it only outputs the error messages, and we can not find any 
option to ignore the error or warning. However, if we enter interactive 
mode, we have a chance to ignore the error and output the partition 
layout. It seems sfdisk does not complain this issue, but parted does.
So my questions: (1) Is there any option we can use to ignore the 
error/warning in the script mode? (2) What is the issue about the 
partition layout of ChromeOS? Thank you very much.

root@debian:~# parted --version
parted (GNU parted) 3.4
Copyright (C) 2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later 
<https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by 
<http://git.debian.org/?p=parted/parted.git;a=blob_plain;f=AUTHORS>.

root@debian:~# parted -s /dev/sda print
Error: Can't have overlapping partitions.
Model: VMware Virtual Storage (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 12.9GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:

root@debian:~# parted /dev/sda print unit s print unit chs print
Error: Can't have overlapping partitions.
Ignore/Cancel? I
Model: VMware Virtual Storage (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 12.9GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: pmbr_boot

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
11      32.8kB  33.3kB  512B                 RWFW
  6      33.3kB  33.8kB  512B                 KERN-C chromeos_kernel
  7      33.8kB  34.3kB  512B                 ROOT-C
  9      34.3kB  34.8kB  512B                 reserved
10      34.8kB  35.3kB  512B                 reserved
  2      35.3kB  16.8MB  16.8MB               KERN-A chromeos_kernel
  4      16.8MB  33.6MB  16.8MB               KERN-B chromeos_kernel
  8      35.7MB  52.4MB  16.8MB  ext4         OEM
12      52.4MB  120MB   67.1MB  fat16        EFI-SYSTEM  boot, 
legacy_boot, esp
  5      120MB   122MB   2097kB               ROOT-B
  3      122MB   2638MB  2517MB  ext2         ROOT-A
  1      2638MB  6940MB  4301MB  ext4         STATE

root@debian:~# sfdisk -d /dev/sda
label: gpt
label-id: 08D06684-439B-5249-BF2C-ADA012219CA0
device: /dev/sda
unit: sectors
first-lba: 34
last-lba: 25165790
sector-size: 512

/dev/sda1 : start=     5152768, size=     8401025, 
type=0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4, 
uuid=222536A7-D849-3349-9646-3DC89AB2952E, name="STATE"
/dev/sda2 : start=          69, size=       32768, 
type=FE3A2A5D-4F32-41A7-B725-ACCC3285A309, 
uuid=E9A9957A-FB4A-3C44-815B-E8F5C3A72051, name="KERN-A"
/dev/sda3 : start=      237568, size=     4915200, 
type=3CB8E202-3B7E-47DD-8A3C-7FF2A13CFCEC, 
uuid=2B75156A-F0BE-6C46-88D1-5628F3D030A6, name="ROOT-A"
/dev/sda4 : start=       32837, size=       32768, 
type=FE3A2A5D-4F32-41A7-B725-ACCC3285A309, 
uuid=1399AF6D-5ED1-F242-B9E6-FCEAE223B041, name="KERN-B"
/dev/sda5 : start=      233472, size=        4096, 
type=3CB8E202-3B7E-47DD-8A3C-7FF2A13CFCEC, 
uuid=19EC4CDA-2F6F-CB4C-8853-2C40550A23DE, name="ROOT-B"
/dev/sda6 : start=          65, size=           1, 
type=FE3A2A5D-4F32-41A7-B725-ACCC3285A309, 
uuid=C6269814-317D-0B48-B5D8-EC663E04A1FE, name="KERN-C"
/dev/sda7 : start=          66, size=           1, 
type=3CB8E202-3B7E-47DD-8A3C-7FF2A13CFCEC, 
uuid=F7990EB7-C113-2944-8CD2-B6F61D993D96, name="ROOT-C"
/dev/sda8 : start=       69632, size=       32768, 
type=0FC63DAF-8483-4772-8E79-3D69D8477DE4, 
uuid=13372637-6B9C-7543-B5DF-CE97AFC01F1A, name="OEM"
/dev/sda9 : start=          67, size=           1, 
type=2E0A753D-9E48-43B0-8337-B15192CB1B5E, 
uuid=A14CB4A1-0A05-2B46-8548-7908252A83DE, name="reserved"
/dev/sda10 : start=          68, size=           1, 
type=2E0A753D-9E48-43B0-8337-B15192CB1B5E, 
uuid=AD34FDF0-8416-2842-9BB0-3CB356BB1862, name="reserved"
/dev/sda11 : start=          64, size=           1, 
type=CAB6E88E-ABF3-4102-A07A-D4BB9BE3C1D3, 
uuid=78FAFCA1-7159-6643-91CA-F446E168528F, name="RWFW"
/dev/sda12 : start=      102400, size=      131072, 
type=C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B, 
uuid=81709525-0560-5844-87D1-D092B7EC65FB, name="EFI-SYSTEM", 
attrs="LegacyBIOSBootable"

-- 
Steven Shiau <steven _at_ stevenshiau org>
Public Key Server PGP Key ID: 4096R/163E3FB0
Fingerprint: EB1D D5BF 6F88 820B BCF5  356C 8E94 C9CD 163E 3FB0