Subject: bug#5475: Archives with filenames with square brackets

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 02:42:33 +0200

>>> And the fact that it doesn't have a switch to make it silent, and
>>> you need to throw away its stderr (which means you cannot display
>>> error messages) is yet another nuisance.
>>
>> I think this is a kind of thing you can ask for on the support lists.
>
> There is already a feature request for this in the 7-zip tracker at sourceforge.
>
> Eli, if you could specify exactly what would be useful for Emacs then
> I could add it to the feature request.

I can answer this question.  All major file compressors except 7-zip
have such an option.

man bzip2:

   -q --quiet

          Suppress non-essential warning messages.  Messages pertaining
          to I/O errors and other critical events will not be suppressed.

man gzip:

   -q --quiet
          Suppress all warnings.

man unzip:

   -q perform operations quietly (-qq = even quieter).  Ordinarily unzip
      prints the names of the files it’s extracting or testing, the
      extraction methods, any file or zipfile comments that may be
      stored in the archive, and possibly a summary when finished with
      each archive.  The -q[q] options suppress the printing of some or
      all of these messages.

man unrar:

   -inul  Disable all messages.

(the latter switch name is quite ugly)

There are many ignored requests to add such option to 7-zip:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/forums/forum/45797/topic/3376726?message=7580176
http://sourceforge.net/projects/p7zip/forums/forum/383044/topic/1270756
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135134
http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/2009-05/msg03287.html
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6643529

If you want add a new request, please ask for -q --quiet at sourceforge.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/