Subject: bug#5475: Archives with filenames with square brackets

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 23:41:21 +0100

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Are there some problems with 7z that makes undesirable to support it
>> (maybe, it is not free software, or has an unsuitable license?)
>
> Its support for zip archives is sporadic at best.  On one GNU/Linux
> system I tried it, it insisted that a .zip file format was
> unsupported, although its Windows version that was older unzipped it
> with no trouble at all.

My impression of 7-zip and the author Igor Pavlov is very positive.
Some years ago I followed the discussion in the support forum a bit. I
found good reasoning from the author. And things got fixed.

I would be surprised if the GNU/Linux support will not be very good too.

> Go figure.  And the fact that it doesn't have
> a switch to make it silent, and you need to throw away its stderr
> (which means you cannot display error messages) is yet another
> nuisance.

I think this is a kind of thing you can ask for on the support lists.