Subject: bug#5475: Archives with filenames with square brackets

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:59:12 +0200

>> >> Well, archive-zip-extract already branches for pkzip/unzip
>> >
>> > Yes, but it does that by a user option, not by some hidden knowledge.
>> > I won't mind introducing a similar option that would tell arc-mode to
>> > quote the file arguments.
>>
>> Right, but once the user tells arc-mode to use unzip, we can
>> automagically shell-quote the filename; there seems to be no reason not
>> to.
>
> If you want to glean the need for quoting from the value of
> archive-zip-extract (i.e. its car being "unzip"), I'm fine with that
> as well.  But as your patch is written, it imposes that on any unzip
> command, regardless of whether it was "unzip" or something else, like
> p7zip, for example.  That doesn't seem right to me.

I don't understand how this was supposed to work at all?

The default value of `archive-zip-extract' can be either "unzip" or
"pkunzip" (depending on the presence of the executable in `exec-path'),
but the function `archive-zip-extract' compares with the value "pkzip".
So the pkzip/pkunzip branch is never executed.

It seems the intention of the change revno#45347 (2002-05-19) was
to compare with "pkunzip" instead of "pkzip", but I currently can't
confirm that since I can't find pkunzip for GNU/Linux.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/