Subject: Re: bug#5475: Archives with filenames with square brackets

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:05:04 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:07:09 -0500
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Well, archive-zip-extract already branches for pkzip/unzip
> >
> > Yes, but it does that by a user option, not by some hidden knowledge.
> > I won't mind introducing a similar option that would tell arc-mode to
> > quote the file arguments.
> 
> Right, but once the user tells arc-mode to use unzip, we can
> automagically shell-quote the filename; there seems to be no reason not
> to.

If you want to glean the need for quoting from the value of
archive-zip-extract (i.e. its car being "unzip"), I'm fine with that
as well.  But as your patch is written, it imposes that on any unzip
command, regardless of whether it was "unzip" or something else, like
p7zip, for example.  That doesn't seem right to me.

> It doesn't seem like anyone's going to test PKzip anytime soon.  In the
> meantime, I have checked in the change to use shell-quote-argument for
> unzip.

My "soon" is once a week.  You only waited 2 days. :-(