Subject: bug#54745: Subject: 28.1; woman fails on "file"

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 11:20:52 +0200

M-x woman RET file RET

errors saying:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "WoMan can only format man pages
   written with the usual ‘-man’ macros") signal(error ("WoMan can only
   format man pages written with the usual ‘-man’ macros"))
   error("WoMan can only format man pages written with the usual `-man'
   macros") woman-decode-region(1 21597) woman-decode-buffer()
   woman-process-buffer()
   woman-really-find-file("/usr/share/man/man1/file.1.gz" t "*WoMan 1
   file*<2>") woman-find-file("/usr/share/man/man1/file.1.gz")

However from bash, manpage appears correctly.
Also would read nicely from:  "man file > file.txt"

But woman shows:

.Dd July 13, 2019
.Dt FILE 1
.Os
.Sh NAME
.Nm file
.Nd determine file type
.Sh SYNOPSIS
.Nm
.Bk -words
.Op Fl bcdEhiklLNnprsSvzZ0
.Op Fl Fl apple
.Op Fl Fl extension
.Op Fl Fl mime-encoding
.Op Fl Fl mime-type
.Op Fl e Ar testname
.Op Fl F Ar separator
.Op Fl f Ar namefile
.Op Fl m Ar magicfiles
.Op Fl P Ar name=value
.Ar

...

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.32, 
cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2022-04-05 built on affe
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-json --with-modules --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK2
ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils disp-table view
jka-compr woman man cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 203536 7948)
  (symbols 48 30679 1)
  (strings 32 80456 1880)
  (string-bytes 1 1321075)
  (vectors 16 14738)
  (vector-slots 8 203630 12255)
  (floats 8 25 137)
  (intervals 56 192 15)
  (buffers 992 12))