Subject: Re: bug#54745: Subject: 28.1; woman fails on "file"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 19:27:03 +0300

> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:47:04 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
> 
> woman.el doesn't use the 'man' program.  It is implemented completely
> in Emacs Lisp.  So what 'man' does is not really relevant; what _is_
> relevant is that Someone(TM) should step up and volunteer to keep
> woman.el up-to-date with all the recent advances in roff markup.
> Until that happens, the error you see above is intentional, meant to
> alert you, the user, to the fact that the man page cannot be reliably
> formatted this way.
> 
> That workaround attached does it here.

Thanks, but I don't think we want this workaround.  It is better to
alert the user to the fact that woman.el cannot process the man page
in question.  And invoking the 'man' command from woman.el is against
the reason that package exist: if you want to do that, use "M-x man"
instead to begin with.  woman.el was originally developed for systems
where the 'man' command is not available.