Subject: bug#54722: closed (Re: bug#54722: Acknowledgement (28.1: colors in alacritty terminal))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 15:24:01 +0000

Your bug report

#54722: 28.1: colors in alacritty terminal

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54722: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54722
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54722: Acknowledgement (28.1: colors in alacritty terminal)
From: Daniel Lublin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:23:28 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I also filed this here: https://github.com/alacritty/alacritty/issues/5995

Since, I played around a bit more. Also tried gnome-terminal (which I never
really used), and emacs 28 in it looks identical to alacritty. I'm thinking
that emacs 28 and alacritty might actually be doing things correctly now,
and it was just broken before. urxvt and xterm might be flawed, or lack
features.

As kchibisov summed it up in the above report "Then it seems like it was
broken before and you've liked it, but now it's correct and you don't? So
you should update your emacs settings?". Yes, I think so.

Subject: 28.1: colors in alacritty terminal
From: Daniel Lublin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 10:44:16 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm trying out emacs 28, coming from 27.2 on an Arch system. I have an issue
with the colors displayed when running in alacritty terminal. Running in
urxvt and xterm is fine.

I see different hues of most colors, and list-colors-display looks
completely different in alacritty vs urxvt. I'm attaching a screenshot of
what it looks like. On the left is alacritty, on the right urxvt. Running
emacs -nw -q --no-site-file -nsl

In #emacs on libera I was pointed at
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=48439 and I tried removing the
alacritty alias, but that didn't help.

My system has ncurses 6.3 which does have terminfo for alacritty.

-- 
Daniel
lublin.se