Subject: bug#54711: Bad Documentation Series: 6.1 Specifying Additional Channels

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 21:47:30 +0200

Marek Paśnikowski schreef op ma 04-04-2022 om 20:43 [+0200]:
> Regarding point 4.: I meant both /etc/config.scm and
> ~/src/guix-config/home-configuration.scm .
> My understanding is that it should be possible to define private
> (user specific) channels.
> I could be wrong here.
> I do not like the ~/.config/guix/channels.scm file,
> because it lives outside of the home configuration.

FWIW, you can create a symlink from ~/.config/guix/channels.scm to
~/src/guix-config/channels.scm and modify ~/src/guix-
config/channels.scm.  That way, the configuration files live together,
which might be close enough for your purposes.

> I would rather have it generated from the home config file.

You can define user-specific channels, in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm.
I suppose it might be technically possible to write a home
configuration that puts a file in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm and/or
runs the equivalent of "guix pull".

However, that's too late.  What you want is the home or system to be
reconfigured with a certain guix+channels Y mentioned in the home or
system configuration.  But when you run "guix system reconfigure", that
reconfiguration is performed with guix X.  While after the
reconfiguration, the guix is updated, the reconfiguration uses the old
guix.

Greetings,
Maxime.