Subject: bug#54706: 28.0.92; eldoc-print-after-edit broken

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 19:13:50 +0800

I just noticed that eldoc not shown in 28.0.92 after messaging commands.
I have eldoc-print-after-edit set to t a long while ago and
`recenter-top-bottom' added to eldoc-message-commands. After some
digging it seems if doc is obtained async `C-l' can trigger eldoc no
more.

I have also noted that eldoc--request-state tries to capture the buffer
editing state using (buffer-modified-tick). Note this is not backward
compatible. Previously eldoc-message-commands can be any command.

Note also eldoc-print-after-edit is a misnomer. It should probably be
renamed to eldoc-print-after-command.

I can get back the old and tested behaviour by adding these 2 lines to
eldoc-print-current-symbol-info:

@@ -880,6 +884,8 @@
   (let (token)
     (cond (interactive
            (eldoc--invoke-strategy t))
+          ((eldoc--message-command-p last-command)
+           (eldoc--invoke-strategy nil))
           ((not (equal (setq token (eldoc--request-state))
                        eldoc--last-request-state))
            (let ((non-essential t))

Diff finished.  Mon Apr  4 18:58:29 2022