Subject: Re: bug#54698: non-recursive GC marking [PATCH]

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 00:24:00 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Overcommit can be disabled on GNU/Linux (the relevant knob is
  > vm.overcommit_memory), which will malloc return an error when there is
  > no more memory left on the system, thereby triggering memory_full.

Concretely, what is this "knob"?  Is it a per-process variable?  If
so, we could make Emacs set it, with a Lisp function to specify the
value.

What is the precise definition of "no more memory left"?

The thrashing that I observed did not immediately kill any process.
Rather, it continued for minutes before doing so.  So I don't think
there was "no more memory left on the system", because if that had
been the case, Linux would have known it immediately.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)