Subject: Re: bug#54698: non-recursive GC marking [PATCH]

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 00:09:25 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > I think this is just how modern OSes behave: they will happily hand
  > > out arbitrary amounts of memory and then kill processes without
  > > warning if they use too much memory. By design, there's nothing these
  > > processes can do about that.

  > That's not my experience.

A few weeks ago, when I had too little physical memory for a while,
I found that my machine would start thrashing, and then Linux would
kill a large process.  Fortunately that was IceCat, not Emacs.
A wizard told me it was indeed killing processes without warning,
but at that moment the thrashing process had no way to receive or
act on a warning.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)