Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/5] gnu: Add fortunes-jkirchartz.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 22:43:48 +0200

Am Samstag, dem 23.07.2022 um 21:54 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> 
> On 23-07-2022 17:11, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> > +      (propagated-inputs (list daikichi))
> 
> It's used in the Makefile, so I'd have expected native-inputs here --
> does "guix build fortunes-jkirchartz --target=aarch64-linux-gnu" or
> such work?
That's what I tried to explain in the comment above.  Because I'm using
native size and endianness, cross compilation only works if the two are
the same.  For example, you could theoretically cross-compile from
x86_64 to aarch64 little endian, but not from aarch64 little endian to
aarch64 big endian.  IMHO that restriction is big enough to practically
make it "not cross-compilable".

That said, one of my first goals is to make it not so, particularly to
always store integers in network order (big endian), so that afterwards
only size is a concern.

> >   (description "This package contains a large collection of
> > fortunes drawn
> > +from sources all around the world.")
> For the people who don't know yet what fortunes are yet, I'd
> recommend adding that these fortunes can be read with the package
> 'daikichi'.
Well, the command to read those fortunes remains "fortune" even if the
package we use is daikichi.  I'm not sure if "Fortunes can be read by
the fortune command" are helpful, but perhaps "a large collection of
quotes to display with @command{fortune}" is?