Subject: Re: fortune-mod propagates various non-nice things

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 19:26:10 +0200

Hi Maxime,

Am Sonntag, dem 03.04.2022 um 15:09 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Hi guix,
> 
> fortune-mod currently propagates (in the non-technical sense) various
> non-nice things like objectification, misoginy, religious
> intolerance, anti-mathematician-ism (?) and date rape.  That is not
> an exhaustive list, these are just the first few things I encountered
> with "fortune off".
Well, the purpose of "fortune off" is to provide offensive "jokes".  As
such, if you're offended by them, you're kinda getting what you've
asked for.  If removing them falls under what our CoC states, though,
then so be it, I have no horse in this race.

More importantly...
> There are also a few non-nice things in the non-off set.
I think this should be reported upstream.  From what I could gather in
a short time, upstream appears both active (last commit 18 days ago)
and willing to make adjustments for "political correctness" (some two
years ago, they removed a lot of blonde jokes, though some simply got
demoted to still sexist jokes about women instead, and off is still
fair game for those, so...), so I think talking will get us further
than one-sided deletion here.

> As such, just removing 'off' doesn't seem sufficient.  Unless
> someone™ volunteers to remove the anti-fortunes (*), I would just
> remove 'fortune-mod', given that it seems to serve no practical
> purpose beyond being non-nice.  WDYT?
I don't think practical purpose is a bar we can set.  What should we do
with all of the Rust ecosystem otherwise?
(For Rust fans, who were offended by the above, consider collecting
this and other quotes from yours truly in a new offensive/rust file and
we can both be happy.)

As for being non-nice on purpose, I disagree.  It's rather a shame if
the supposedly inoffensive set is still offensive.  And if lack of
humor is a concern, "A nuclear war can ruin your whole day." from
politics sounds just about fine to me :)

Cheers