Subject: Re: bug#54691: fortune-mod propagates various non-nice things

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 14:23:53 +0200

Hi,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Am Mittwoch, dem 03.08.2022 um 15:43 +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> [...]
>> > -(define-public fortune-mod
>> 
>> (Perhaps also make “fortune-mod” a deprecated name for
>> “fortune-jkirchartz”.)
> I'm getting mixed messages here.  On the one hand, Maxime suggests not
> propagating daikichi from fortune-jkirchartz (which makes it a plain
> data package lacking a `fortune' command), on the other we want to mark
> fortune-mod as deprecated.  These are mutually exclusive options.

To me use of ‘deprecated-package’ in this case is just to ensure that
users who run ‘guix upgrade’ will transparently get
‘fortune-jkirchartz’.  I don’t have a strong opinion though.

>> FWIW I’m fine with this change.  Note that there’s also another patch
>> that removes the ‘off’ database of ‘fortune-mod’¹, though I don’t
>> know whether that would fully address the issues raised in this
>> thread.  It will have to closed if/once this series is applied.
> IIRC, I responded to such a patch already, though perhaps not that
> thread in particular.  To summarize, fortune-mod also propagates non-
> nice things outside of ‘off’, so removing it is not enough.

Alright, let’s remove ‘fortune-mod’ then.

Thanks for taking care of it!

Ludo’.