Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/5] gnu: Add fortunes-jkirchartz.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 00:13:21 +0200

On 23-07-2022 23:52, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
>> Another problem is that currently it is propagated, but daikichi is
>> not a dependency of fortunes-jkirchartz.
> Well, it is a dependency in that you need a fortune program to read the
> quotes.  Should I instead add a meta-package that propagates both?

I think it's a situation like 'man-pages' and 'man-db'. 'man-pages' has 
lots of man pages and 'man-db' has a reader for man pages, but this does 
not make man-db a dependency of man-pages. (Similarly, IceCat is not a 
dependency of the web page https://guix.gnu.org). OTOH, daikichi is the 
only reader for the fortunes so the situation becomes a bit incomparable.

I suppose there's some convenience in propagating daikichi, but 
currently AFAICT the policy for those situations appears to be to not 
propagate it (and neither create a meta package reader+information), so 
unless there's some agreement on [email-masked] to change that 
policy to go for meta packages or propagation, I don't think the 
individual fortunes-jkirchartz package should do that.

Greetings,
Maxime.