Subject: bug#54671: 26.3; compilation mode tracking error messages

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 17:57:39 +0200

Kenneth Zadeck <[email-masked]> writes:

> There is a page on the web that purports to specify the format of error
> messages for gnu products. I would have assumed that gnuemacs
> would have fully implemented this set of standards.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Errors.html
>
> The claim is that
>
> "When an error is spread over several files, you can use this format:
>
> file1:line1.column1-file2:line2.column2: message"
>
> gnuemacs does not seem to understand this in the next error function.
> It only sees the first file, line. The message
>
> =====
> ../xmltools/XSD11/schemaDriver.xsd:10.1-../xmltools/XSD11/XMLSchema.xsd:86.1-../xmltools/XML/xml.xsd:4:

Yes, I can't see any attempt to try to parse multi-file error lines in
compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist (but the `gnu' rule there parses
this as a single file named
"../xmltools/XSD11/schemaDriver.xsd:10.1-../xmltools/XSD11/XMLSchema.xsd:86.1-../xmltools/XML/xml.xsd:"
with an error on line 4, I think).

I'm not sure many programs actually follow the convention stated on that
URL, but it would be nice to support it, anyway.  But I'm not even sure
we really support having errors from several files on the same line in
compilation-mode?  I've added Mattias to the CCs because he was the last
one to touch the `gnu' bits :-), perhaps he has some comments.  (Or if
anybody else has an idea, please chime in.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no