Subject: Re: bug#54671: 26.3; compilation mode tracking error messages

From: Kenneth Zadeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 12:40:20 -0400

I should admit to you that several years ago I was a gcc maintainer and 
in my time doing that, I never saw gcc generate anything like this.   
But I am now writing a different tool and I had forgot the syntax of 
error messages and the internet came back with that page - and it does 
not work in emacs.

What does work fine is to replace the "-" with a "\n" so that each 
file/lineNo is on a separate line.   Then emacs's next error will just 
move you from one context to the next until you find the right place.

As I said in my original post, I am only submitting it, because 
according to GNU specific documentation, this should work.

Thanks

Kenny

On 4/2/22 11:57, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Kenneth Zadeck <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> There is a page on the web that purports to specify the format of error
>> messages for gnu products. I would have assumed that gnuemacs
>> would have fully implemented this set of standards.
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Errors.html
>>
>> The claim is that
>>
>> "When an error is spread over several files, you can use this format:
>>
>> file1:line1.column1-file2:line2.column2: message"
>>
>> gnuemacs does not seem to understand this in the next error function.
>> It only sees the first file, line. The message
>>
>> =====
>> ../xmltools/XSD11/schemaDriver.xsd:10.1-../xmltools/XSD11/XMLSchema.xsd:86.1-../xmltools/XML/xml.xsd:4:
> Yes, I can't see any attempt to try to parse multi-file error lines in
> compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist (but the `gnu' rule there parses
> this as a single file named
> "../xmltools/XSD11/schemaDriver.xsd:10.1-../xmltools/XSD11/XMLSchema.xsd:86.1-../xmltools/XML/xml.xsd:"
> with an error on line 4, I think).
>
> I'm not sure many programs actually follow the convention stated on that
> URL, but it would be nice to support it, anyway.  But I'm not even sure
> we really support having errors from several files on the same line in
> compilation-mode?  I've added Mattias to the CCs because he was the last
> one to touch the `gnu' bits :-), perhaps he has some comments.  (Or if
> anybody else has an idea, please chime in.)
>