Subject: bug#54667: 29.0.50; posix_spawn breaks emacs-gdb

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 16:11:51 +0200

tags 54667 fixed
close 54667 29.1
quit

>>>>> On Fri, 01 Apr 2022 16:44:13 +0200, Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> said:

>>>>> On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:29:50 +0200, "Herman, Géza" <[email-masked]> said:
    Herman> I can confirm that it fixes the problem.

    Robert> Thanks, Iʼll see if I can get around to committing it this weekend.

    Herman> For reference, here's the patch:
    Herman> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-03/msg00067.html

    Herman> (Btw., according to this email thread, vfork is faster than
    Herman> posix_spawn on Linux, so maybe it'd make sense to use posix_spawn only
    Herman> on non-Linux platforms?)

    Robert> In emacs-28 we only use posix_spawn on macOS because its vork is
    Robert> sub-optimal. I donʼt remember the rationale for switching to using it
    Robert> everywhere, itʼs undoubtedly in the archives somewhere.

Closing.
Committed as 8103b060d8