Subject: bug#5466: Viper opens line in invisible part

From: Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 00:56:12 -0400

Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> If viper-mode is on and you for example in org-mode are in on a header
>> line with an invisible body and press “o” then the invisible text is
>> still invisible and point is now in the invisible part.
>>
>> I think this is a general Emacs problem, not a problem with only Viper
>> and I suggest that global-reveal-mode is turned on by default.
>
> Sorry for the late reply.  This is still a problem in Emacs 25.
>
> I don't know if I agree that this is a problem, though. The behavior I
> see with Viper (or Evil, for that matter) is confusing but not crazy. I
> still see that I'm inserting something before the invisible part
> (represented by "..."), and when I expand the outline, then my edit
> indeed put the text before that invisible part.
>
> Turning on global-reveal-mode by default would change the org experience
> and as well, so I'm unsure that is something others would agree on.

No one has yet disagreed with me, so I'm going to mark this one as a
wishlist - I think there is something that either Org or Viper could do
to work better with each other, but this is more of a feature request
than a bug IMHO.