Subject: bug#54636: dired fails to update subdirs when files are created/deleted/renamed

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 15:29:36 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Oh, sorry, I'll look into it ASAP.  I guess this is to be corrected
>> in emacs-28?
>
> Yes.
>
> I think I just fixed it there, please take a look.

That's what I was about to do, too, but that's not right, too.  Say you
have dired buffers for

  ~/
  ~/foo/
  ~/foo/bar/

and then delete ~/foo from inside the ~/ dired buffer.  You'll be asked
if the buffers for foo should be delete, too, and when you confirm, what
is deleted are the buffers ~/ and ~/foo but ~/foo/bar persists.  So the
buffers are deleted downwards (to the root) instead of upwards which is
wrong.

I guess I recognized that in 7b50ed553f and switched the arguments for
that very reason.  (file-in-directory-p has the same argument order as
dired-in-this-tree.)

Bye,
Tassilo