Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 5/5] gnu: Add wfmash.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 11:39:16 +0200

Arun Isaac schreef op vr 01-04-2022 om 13:10 [+0530]:
> wfmash's speed is one of the critical features it brings to the
> table. We might have rendered the package more or less unusable by
> disabling CPU optimizations.
> 
> I could try talking to upstream about detecting and using CPU features
> at runtime. But, I don't know too much about the topic. Any quick links
> I can share with them?

For the concept, maybe
<https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2022/01/tuning-packages-for-a-cpu-micro-architecture/>
, which is about combining high performance with reproducibility using
the (Guix-specific) --tune package transformation.  To implement run-
time detection, the following could be useful:

* Guix article:
<https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2018/01/pre-built-binaries-vs-performance/>
* LWN article: <https://lwn.net/Articles/691932/>.

Greetings,
Maxime.