Subject: Re: bug#54603: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Eshell's external pipe module interferes with other argument parsing hooks

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 15:55:56 -0700

Hello,

On Thu 31 Mar 2022 at 01:46pm +02, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The attached patch resolves the issue for me, but I'm not sure if it's
>> the best strategy. If possible, I think it would be better for
>> `eshell-parse-external-pipeline' to solely focus on finding the
>> external pipe operators ("*|", "*<", and "*>")[1] and then for
>> `eshell-rewrite-external-pipeline' to prepare the command string to
>> pass to sh. This would also have the advantage[2] of making it
>> possible to support a richer set of Eshell features with external
>> pipes, such as the following:
>
> I think that sounds like a good idea (but I don't use eshell regularly,
> so I don't really have much of an opinion here).  Perhaps John does;
> added to the CCs.

As discussed down thread, this would kind of be a different feature --
one purpose of the extpipe syntax is to make it easy to have the
operating system shell interpret complex shell syntax rather than
Eshell.

Jim has an idea about making ordinary Eshell pipes automatically use the
external shell where possible, which would satisfy this usecase better
if it works out, I think.

-- 
Sean Whitton