Subject: 28.0.91; number is not an accepted value for THING in bounds-of-thing-at-point

From: Rodrigo Morales <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:32:51 -0500

Actions that triggered the bug

1. Start Emacs with the flag -Q: $ emacs -Q
2. Insert the number "123" in any buffer (preferably, the current one,
   "*scratch*")
3. Place the cursor on any digit in the number that was written in the
   previous step
5. Evaluate this sexp (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'number) in a number.

Current result

"nil" is returned

Expected result

The boundaries of the number should be returned.

Additional information

First, some context: The following sexp (thing-at-point 'number) is able
to get the number at point. For example, when the cursor is on any digit
of the following number: 123, that sexp returns "123".

One might think that the following sexp
(bounds-of-thing-at-point 'number)
returns the boundaries of the number at point. However, this doesn't
happen because "number" is not a recognized value for the THING
parameter in the function bounds-of-thing-at-point although "number" is
a recognized parameter in parameter with the same name THING in
thing-at-point.

Note that both thing-at-point and bounds-of-thing-at-point belong to the
same package: thingatpt.el

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-02-09 built on r1
Repository revision: d193801f59822554d28e497da146d982f5ab7995
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Memory information:
((conses 16 2520424 464021)
 (symbols 48 74192 87)
 (strings 32 512469 221518)
 (string-bytes 1 17720034)
 (vectors 16 236556)
 (vector-slots 8 4539095 616527)
 (floats 8 9916 1150)
 (intervals 56 138426 14734)
 (buffers 992 140))