Subject: Re: bug#54551: show-paren-mode inconsistency

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:57:45 +1300

On 2022-03-25 17:20, goncholden wrote:
> I use the block colouring of the cursor, meaning that your
> valid description in not so intuitive.  Would it be possible
> to include a different interpretation depending on the type
> of cursor display one is using?

The position at point is the same no matter what the cursor
looks like, and the behaviour is based on where point is, so
for the current code the appearance of the cursor is irrelevant.

You *could* make the code test the cursor type and change its
behaviour in accordance with what it thought the cursor looked
like, but I'd really recommend just getting familiar with the
existing (and very consistent) behaviour, and remembering what
it is that the cursor actually represents.

> > I think you're looking for this library:
> > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightSexp
> 
> Is HighlightSexp only relevant for use with lisp-mode-hook
> and emacs-lisp-mode-hook ?

Anything lisp-based should certainly work, but it's more generic
than that.  Not every major mode would be relevant, but you can
experiment with different modes and see whether it works.

-Phil