Subject: [bug#54539] [PATCH 0/6] Start breaking up import cycles

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:12:56 +0100

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op vr 25-03-2022 om 12:47 [+0100]:
> That's the status quo (through gnaural and audacity for example).  To
> make a more educated guess, which cycle do we aim to address here?  Is
> there a meaningful cut that can be made (e.g. the offending packages
> are all "audio editors", "audio synthesizers", etc.) or do we have to
> separate good and bad based on their inputs?

Some cycles:

(gnu packages pulseaudio) -> (gnu packages audio) -> (gnu packages gtk)
/(gnu packages qt)-> (gnu packages pulseaudio) + the world

(gnu packages pulseaudio) -> (gnu packages audio) -> (gnu packages
webkit) -> (gnu packages gstreamer) + the world -> (gnu packages
pulseaudio) + the world

Suggested cut: audio libraries like flac, libogg, libvorbis, opus,
wildmidi, vo-aacenc, tinyalsa ... can go in (gnu packages audio), other
things go somewhere else, especially if they need expensive imports.

Greetings,
Maxime.