Subject: [bug#54539] [PATCH 0/6] Start breaking up import cycles

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:46:37 +0100

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 24-03-2022 om 16:38 [+0100]:
> > For reducing the contribution of (gnu packages compression) on the
> > cycle issue, I've (in not yet submitted patched) separated many
> > things into (gnu packages compression-xyz), perhaps I can merge
> > (gnu packages patools) into (gnu packages compression-xyz)?
> Here too, I think a classification into compression algorithms in
> compression and backup/archival tools in another file (we do have
> backup IIRC) would make the most sense.  Though obviously, we'd have
> to
> do compression algorithms implemented in Rust in a special rust-
> compression file to avoid circles or use the cycle killer lambda
> trick.
> I'm not sure if "compression-xyz" would be a helpful label, and it
> might just become the next root of circular dependencies if abused.

Except for zpaq, there don't appear to be any backup tools in (gnu
packages compression).  There are no rust compression things in
(gnu packages compression) (yet!).   But yes, there's some opportunity
for abuse here.  There _are_ archival tools in (gnu packages
compression), e.g. tar and unzip.   Moving them to (gnu packages
backup) wouldn't bring any benefit though, since they are used by
practically everything.

Anyway, I'll continue trying to break cycles ...

Greetings,
Maxime.