Subject: bug#54537: 29.0.50; Last sexp notion is different for eval-last-sexp and pp-eval-last-sexp

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 19:21:38 +0530

The notion of "last sexp" is different for eval-last-sexp and
pp-eval-last-sexp as seen by the following,

    ,(list 1 2 3)

eval-last-sexp echoes (1 2 3) in the echo area but pp-eval-last-sexp
signals an error.  I am not sure which one is more correct, but
eval-last-sexp behaviour is more convenient (and backward-sexp when
after the closing parenthesis places the point after , too...).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars)
Repository revision: ca3858563c7ba8ee3caa82fbd2b7c386ea60c0d3
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: NixOS 21.11 (Porcupine)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/iqqk7iqfwmfc6r78xg2knyq7hww2mhs4-emacs-git-20220225.0
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/5gh4w50dhchhcyjm6ysh17h7y4i5vasf-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  semantic-minor-modes-format: ((:eval (if (or semantic-highlight-edits-mode semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode)  S)))
  recentf-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  eros-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  undelete-frame-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/viz/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/5gh4w50dhchhcyjm6ysh17h7y4i5vasf-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/map/map hides /nix/store/iqqk7iqfwmfc6r78xg2knyq7hww2mhs4-emacs-git-20220225.0/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/map
/home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/let-alist/let-alist hides /nix/store/iqqk7iqfwmfc6r78xg2knyq7hww2mhs4-emacs-git-20220225.0/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail ecomplete debug tamil-phonetic gnus-dired
flow-fill mm-archive sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nnfolder nnmaildir nnagent nnml nnnil gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache
info-look org-archive expand-region text-mode-expansions
cc-mode-expansions the-org-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom edebug backtrace cal-iso view
org-clock org-plot ob-ditaa ob-plantuml org-crypt org-habit descr-text
man wdired ement-room-list ts s dash ement ement-notify notifications
ement-room ewoc ement-api ement-structs ement-macros plz dns ind-util
writegood-mode cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs mule-util cal-move tabify
org-datetree org-capture doct org-agenda org-colview org-modern
org-modern-autoloads autoload hippie-exp smerge-mode diff log-edit
pcvs-util add-log vc image-file image-converter timezone comp comp-cstr
shortdoc xref elec-pair flyspell ispell org-pdftools org-noter
org-refile org-indent org-element avl-tree generator executable
time-stamp pulse dired-aux shr-color color textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnutls url-http
url-gw url-cache url-auth goto-addr icomplete pdf-sync pdf-annot
facemenu pdf-outline pdf-links ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-shell ob-racket
async ob-async tempo ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file url-dired svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex
ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs pdf-history network-stream puny nsm rmc dictionary
dictionary-connection misearch multi-isearch reveal noutline outline
cl-print help-fns radix-tree recentf tree-widget vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher tramp-cmds rfc2104 tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-start files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp shell-command+ cursor-sensor face-remap shell
pcomplete server paredit edmacro kmacro eros time-date checkdoc lisp-mnt
flymake-proc flymake project warnings thingatpt hl-todo wordel-autoloads
sokoban-autoloads ement-autoloads ts-autoloads map-autoloads
plz-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads
transmission-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads racket-mode-autoloads
eros-autoloads flymake-shellcheck-autoloads writegood-mode-autoloads avy
avy-autoloads siege-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads puni-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads filladapt-autoloads compose quail
scroll-other-window org-pdftools-autoloads org-noter-autoloads
math-delimiters-autoloads doct-autoloads ob-async-autoloads
async-autoloads emacs-ob-racket-autoloads valign-autoloads
org-starless-autoloads cdlatex-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site
easy-mmode pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs json map url-vars compile comint ansi-color
ring cus-edit wid-edit pdf-view password-cache jka-compr pdf-cache
pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode dired-x dired dired-loaddefs
exif pdf-tools-autoloads let-alist-autoloads tablist-autoloads derived
mb-depth cus-load repeat visual-fill-autoloads olivetti-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads time format-spec battery dbus filenotify xml
disp-table lacarte-autoloads shell-command-plus-autoloads icalendar
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs rx filecache
flymake-grammarly-autoloads grammarly-autoloads websocket-autoloads
finder-inf request-autoloads s-autoloads chemtable-autoloads
molar-mass-autoloads saveplace-pdf-view saveplace bookmark
text-property-search pp saveplace-pdf-view-autoloads pcase
straight-autoloads info cl-seq cl-extra help-mode straight cl-macs
cl-loaddefs cl-lib vz-nh-theme seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1759947 339294)
 (symbols 48 59226 52)
 (strings 32 341856 24192)
 (string-bytes 1 63484760)
 (vectors 16 139758)
 (vector-slots 8 3389303 393319)
 (floats 8 30915 3058)
 (intervals 56 131235 5086)
 (buffers 992 107))