Subject: bug#54536: 29.0.50; Improve ERC's handling of multiline prompt input

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 12:44:39 -0700

Matheus Fillipe <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've been testing this and as an evil-mode user I had a problem that
> whenever I paste something or sometimes just out of the blue I would
> send one empty line after my message. After a few hours using erc this
> it only happened once but Im not able to reproduce it so... I think
> this is a great addition and it solves my problem!

Appreciate the feedback! (Although, we ought not settle for "it
only happened once," if we can help it.) A few silly questions:

1. In your testing, what was the value of `erc-send-whitespace-lines'?

2. Do you have any unusual bindings or minor modes going (other than
   Evil)? Just asking to try and gauge whether it's worth doing
   something like an emacs -Q.

3. How do you send input normally? For example: switch to insert state,
   type stuff after the prompt, hit RET. Just asking in case I try
   recreating your setup.

4. Are you willing to keep testing it? If so and it happens again, can
   you try a `view-lossage' and maybe also a `report-emacs-bug', and
   just copy-paste all the generated facts into a reply?

BTW, I guess the "reply" button on the MHonArc-generated bug-gnu-emacs
pages doesn't do a "reply all" (or else there's some trick I don't know
about to get it to include Cc participants).