Subject: bug#54499: 28.0.92; strange indentation in shell function

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 15:29:09 +0100

When editing a shell-function with cursor behind "batch \" -- see code 
below -- RET inserts a newline and indents onto a strange big amount.

It inserts 2 TABs followed by 4 spaces so "--eval" is at colon with "-p".

Soo also attached foo1.png. BWT whitespace-mode is hardly readable from 
emacs -Q

------
#!/bin/sh

foo1() { date; time -p emacs -Q -L . --batch \
                                --eval "(message (emacs-version))"
}

foo1
------

In GNU Emacs 28.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
2.24.32, cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2022-03-14
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-json --with-modules --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK2
ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils bug-reference find-func
shortdoc text-property-search cl-extra seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv pp cl-print thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring time-date subr-x misearch
multi-isearch vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs
cl-lib vc-filewise vc-rcs sh-script smie executable iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 181454 9932)
  (symbols 48 31985 1)
  (strings 32 75967 1843)
  (string-bytes 1 1311753)
  (vectors 16 21291)
  (vector-slots 8 654402 21958)
  (floats 8 78 52)
  (intervals 56 1824 0)
  (buffers 992 19))