Subject: Re: bug#54488: 29.0.50; move-to-column/overlay-related regression in latest master, perhaps 28?

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:54:52 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's because I cannot afford the time and efforts of setting up
> another compiler suite on my machine.  Too many things on my plate
> already, sorry.

That's OK.  I can certainly relate :-) Though in many platforms I know
setting up this clangd language server is just about installing the
"clang" package available in many distribution.

On a tangent, it'd be great if Emacs could come with at least one
ready-to-use LSP server for debugging things like these.  Maybe an Elisp
server, although LSP servers for Elisp are kind of silly IMO, since LSP
is very inferior to Emacs's own facilities for debugging Elisp.  So a C
LSP server would be the next natural choice.

>> I guess if you could point me to (your?) commit that changed the
>> behaviour in I can do the reproduction here and see the problem
>> myself, when I have time.
> The commit is here: 4243747.  It fixed bug#53795.  Before the change
> the low-level routines that move-to-column and current-column called
> ignored display strings shown in the buffer; now they take the display
> strings into consideration.

OK thanks, I'll have a look when there's a bit more space on my plate.

João