Subject: bug#54488: 29.0.50; move-to-column/overlay-related regression in latest master, perhaps 28?

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:08:55 +0000

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 10:09 AM João Távora <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> PS: I do invite you to read that old Eglot issue.  Since you're an
> expert on coding system conversion, maybe you know of a better, faster
> way to find the correct LSPish column in an Emacs buffer.  Maybe the
> whole search idea is completely overwrought.
>

These issues may give additional context about the need for this particular
move-to-column dance.

https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/125 (the one I gave you already)
https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/124 (the bug that prompted the
125 fix)
https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/361 (an easier to grasp
manifestation of the problem)

Also, I think the current fix of Eglot is decent.  It will be slower when
there are
company-mode overlays, but those are in much lower numbers compared to
LSP-abiding
positioning requests. And some seem to be moving away from company-mode
and its overlay-based completion display anyway.  So this is not urgent.

But I still do think there was a regression in Emacs somewhere: I've
described an
unequivocal reproduction recipe, just not something that can be shared
among us,
due to technical (or licensing) hurdles.

João