Subject: bug#54488: 29.0.50; move-to-column/overlay-related regression in latest master, perhaps 28?

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:48:06 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 21.03.2022 23:59, João Távora wrote:
>> So maybe Dmitry has some valuable insight as to how exactly company
>> constructs its overlay or overlays.
>
> You can try putting a multiline string on the 'display property.
>
> Instead of just "BAR".

I tried that, but I don't know how to align it like company does.

> Apart from that, I can only suggest reading the code and
> experimenting.

I admit I was hoping that you as company maintainer/specialist :-) could
provide a small snippet to create a dummy but company-realistic overlay
of, say, two completion "foo" and "bar" in the middle of any buffer.  Or
perhaps explain in layman's terms how company constructs its overlays.

Not asking that you get to the root of the move-to-column problem, which
is clearly a regression (presumably a regression to correct behaviour,
but a regression nonetheless) just help perhaps come up with a simpler
repro to assist Eli in seeing the issue.

But there's no urgency.  This, I understand, is not in Emacs 28 and
there is a workaround in Eglot.

João