Subject: Re: bug#54488: 29.0.50; move-to-column/overlay-related regression in latest master, perhaps 28?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 19:05:53 +0200

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 16:37:18 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked], Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> If you are aware of the behaviour change , then I don't see the point 
> with coming up with a simpler repro: I'd just be showing what you 
> confirmed: that move-to-column now is affected by overlays such
> as company's whereas before (emacs 27.2/28) it didn't.

The questions is: does current-column, move-to-column, etc. on master
indeed report the column number and move to the place whose column
number _on_display_ is as you ask them?  If they do, then this is the
correct behavior, and features that expect something else should
adapt.  But if move-to-column moves to a column that is visually
incorrect, I'd still like a simple reproducer.  Even if one must use
company-mode and eglot, can you post a recipe that doesn't involve
their installation via package.el?  Suppose I download the relevant
*.el files to my system and manually load them as needed, can you show
a recipe that loads whatever is needed and then reproduces the issue?