Subject: Re: bug#54483: ‘guix system image’ chokes on host's /var

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 18:45:30 +0200

Hi!

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I can't build the older installer image I want, ostensibly because my
> installed system is too new (anno-post-apteryx-versioning; no time to 
> further investigate I'm afraid).
>
> I expect a self-contained system not to care and certainly not to crash.
>
> ~/guix ⌥  v1.3.0-15828-gd5b4ca4445 λ ./pre-inst-env guix system image
> -t iso9660 gnu/system/install.scm
> guix system: warning: unrecognized boot parameters at
> '/var/guix/profiles/system-8-link/parameters'
> Backtrace:
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>     152:2 19 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
> In unknown file:
>           18 (_ #<procedure 72f633d9b280 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>

The ugly backtrace is gone with
47960b55268220ca1cb7d2fed41c53873181d816.

However, fundamentally, ‘guix system image’ shouldn’t be reading
/run/current-system/parameters because it has not use for it.

Mathieu, do you happen to have an idea where to remove that
‘read-boot-parameters-file’ call?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.