Subject: Re: bug#54473: 28.0.91; [PATCH] Eldoc: Handle invisible text when truncating strings

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:03:16 +0000

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 1:52 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:06:56 +0100
> > Cc: João Távora <[email-masked]>,
> >  [email-masked]
> >
> > This should solve the Eglot-related problem described in this Github
> comment:
> >
> > https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/865#issuecomment-1065565845
>
> If this is proposed for the release branch, then can you tell more?
> The discussion to which you pointed seems to be caused by some recent
> change to Eglot that you installed several days ago, so how does it
> affect the current pretest of Emacs 28?
>
> I need to understand this to decide whether to consider the change for
> the release branch.
>

Eglot, the Eldoc user, now simply doesn't strip _any_ properties from the
text
it sends Eldoc.  I think is a conceptually correct change to Eglot. It's
just that
Eldoc just doesn't have a way to deal with that yet.

If the patch is tested correctly, it is effectively fixing a bug in
eldoc.el,
whose current formatting/display code is oblivious to invisible text when
calculating how much actual (read visual) free space it has in the echo
area.
And, presumably, this patch fixes that shortcoming.

However, to err on the safe side, I'd say don't push it to the release
branch. Eldoc
is a "core ELPA package" so it can be distributed to the soon-to-be 28
release,
by simply bumping the ELPA package version and then asking for users
to update their packages.  This is how bugs in flymake.el, eldoc.el,
project.el
have been fixed recently: no need to wait for an Emacs release.

Maybe Augusto can fill in any details, if I haven't been clear.

João