Subject: bug#54472: 29.0.50; mouse-wheel-scroll-amount inconsistency

From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:52:46 +0100

Hi:

I have this config:

(setq-default mouse-wheel-scroll-amount '(3             ;; No modifier
					((control) . 6)
					((meta) . hscroll)
                                        ;; Either Shift+mouse not text-scale work in terminal,
                                        ;; so put them together
					((shift) . text-scale))
	    mouse-wheel-progressive-speed nil
	    mouse-scroll-delay 0)

And I have noticed that the scroll speed on xterm doubles the one in
gui: with 1 mouse wheel tick 

on gui: the buffer scrolls 3 lines (seems correct with the config).
in xterm: (emacs -nw) it scrolls 6 lines.

Is this a known issue? I have a workaround for it, but maybe there is a
real issue to solve?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 133, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-03-18 built on Ergus
Repository revision: 9bcf58d27c7c9ebe3bdd4d0564808767420bd44c
Repository branch: feature/completions-customs
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/ergo/.local/ --with-mailutils --with-json
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int --with-modules
 --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  diff-hl-margin-mode: t
  vertico-mouse-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  composable-mark-mode: t
  composable-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  my/consult-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/gits/emacs_clones/composable/composable-mark hides /home/ergo/.config/emacs/elpa/composable-20201024.1458/composable-mark
~/gits/emacs_clones/composable/composable hides /home/ergo/.config/emacs/elpa/composable-20201024.1458/composable
/home/ergo/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20220314.1605/transient hides /home/ergo/.local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vertico-directory
vertico-repeat autorevert filenotify ffap thingatpt url-parse
auth-source password-cache url-vars xclip yasnippet elec-pair
flyspell-correct flyspell ispell company-semantic company-template
company-capf company flycheck ansi-color json map find-func dash pcase
diff-hl-margin diff-hl-dired advice dired-x dired dired-loaddefs diff-hl
log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode orderless
vertico-mouse vertico cape term/tmux term/xterm xterm init composable
composable-mark repeat xt-mouse simple-16-theme edmacro kmacro mb-depth
winner ring saveplace delsel savehist display-fill-column-indicator
display-line-numbers diminish which-key cl-extra help-mode use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core disp-table
info ede/auto eieio-base cl-seq eieio seq subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs
cl-lib tex-site rx slime-autoloads early-init iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 204829 16070)
 (symbols 48 16046 0)
 (strings 32 57186 5992)
 (string-bytes 1 1954139)
 (vectors 16 24278)
 (vector-slots 8 449503 9025)
 (floats 8 101 1077)
 (intervals 56 839 0)
 (buffers 992 11))