Subject: bug#54470: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Add documentation/tests for Eshell argument expansion

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:29:43 -0700

On 3/20/2022 1:57 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
> On 3/20/2022 12:05 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> The use of quotes 'like this', here and elsewhere in a similar
>> context, begs the question: how to specify names that have embedded
>> single-quote characters in them?
> 
> "Very carefully." :)
> 
> Seriously though, this is an area I don't fully understand yet, but in 
> which I've found several bugs (or at least I think they're bugs). As 
> such, I intentionally avoided documenting this since it's pretty 
> confusing.

I narrowed down one of the bugs I mentioned here (and fixed it): bug#54603.

There are still a few other issues with quoting/escaping in argument 
predicates/modifiers. I can work on fixing these in a separate bug, or 
update my patches in this bug if you prefer. I lean very slightly 
towards the former, since the quoting/escaping logic could use some 
changes to be more consistent. That seems different enough from this bug 
that I think it'd be simpler to separate them. That said, if you'd 
prefer I do this all in this bug, that's ok too.