Subject: bug#54441: closed (Re: bug#54441: 28.0.92; set-language-environment causes Apple Color Emoji cannot show up)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:25:03 +0000

Your bug report

#54441: 28.0.92; set-language-environment causes Apple Color Emoji cannot show up

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54441: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54441
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54441: 28.0.92; set-language-environment causes Apple Color Emoji cannot show up
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Will Chang <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:24:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Will Chang <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:36:17 +0800
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Yes, it works well even after set-language-environment to UTF-8.

Great, thanks.  Then I think there's no Emacs bug here, and I'm
therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 28.0.92; set-language-environment causes Apple Color Emoji cannot show up
From: Will Chang <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:41:00 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug shows up with the code following:

;; 😄

(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'unicode "Apple Color Emoji" nil
'prepend)

(set-language-environment "UTF-8")

Steps to reproduce:
1. eval-buffer and the emoji doesn't show up correctly.
2. Comment out (set-language-environment "UTF-8") and run eval-buffer
the emoji shows up correctly.

I encountered this bug from Emacs mac port
bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/src/work/ 28.0.92 to make sure it's
not only on that port, I download Emacs from emacsformacosx.com and
reproduced the bug. I found that emacs -Q is not available in Terminal so I
tested
it with no init files.

This is the first time I reported a bug to Emacs, please forgive me for any
inappropriate thing.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60
Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
 of 2022-03-14 built on builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.3

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
time iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 54262 10538)
 (symbols 48 6616 1)
 (strings 32 18521 1412)
 (string-bytes 1 615366)
 (vectors 16 14366)
 (vector-slots 8 197125 10303)
 (floats 8 23 40)
 (intervals 56 237 2)
 (buffers 992 13))