Subject: Re: bug#54440: Updates for genext2fs and genimage

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:15:04 -0700

On 2022-03-19, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I have updates for genext2fs and genimage!
>>
>> Newer versions of the genext2fs tool have support for things like
>> SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH, and Guix seems keen on reproducible builds, so Guix
>> may as well have the latest and greatest genext2fs!
>
> Yup, sounds like an interesting option!  I’m not sure yet it can be used
> as a drop-in replacement in (gnu build images), but we’ll see.

I have seen instructions for adding features using tune2fs after the
fact to make it ext3 or ext4 ... or other arbitrary features (though not
all can be) and who knows how that will affect the reproducibility of
the image!

>> Updating genext2fs triggered test suite failures in genimage, which I
>> also noticed was a slightly out of date... so updated that too!
...
> The patches LGTM, thank you!

Pushed as:

ba1ce250c8d2d0d3c215e06d722f8d561cbe095f gnu: genimage: Update to 15.
8aae96b44c2e84f31574200aa71c6ee4979b1620 gnu: genext2fs: Update to 1.5.0.

live well,
  vagrant