Subject: Re: bug#54437: 28.0.92; command-modes returns nil for native compiled functions

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 16:18:24 +0100

Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, we'd still need to store the information in each .eln and update
> the value of this new global hash table each time (probably in
> comp--register-subr).  So some C should be modified anyway even if
> (maybe?) less, I doubt is doable in the realease branch at this point
> anyway.

There's also the problem with stale entries -- if you're re-loading an
.eln with different functions with different command modes, you'd need
some way to nix out the old ones (for instance, if a command goes from
having modes to not).  Or you'd have to register all the commands in the
hash table, which seems awkward.

I think if we want this in Emacs 28, it's probably safer to just
cherry-pick the commit to master, as invasive as that is.  On the other
hand, the command-modes stuff is new functionality in Emacs 28, so just
documenting that it doesn't work with native-comp (yet) would also be
fine, and then perhaps do an Emacs 28.2 later with the patch.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no