Subject: [bug#54434] [PATCH 0/6] XFCE Updates

From: Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:30:05 +1100

宋文武 writes:

 > Brendan Tildesley writes:
 >
 >> On 4/4/22 12:56 pm, Feng Shu wrote:
 >>> Brendan Tildesley writes:
 >>>
 >>>> On 3/4/22 8:33 pm, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
 >>>>> [...]
 >>>>> One problem is that this won’t work for those using Guix Home, 
where the
 >>>>> default profile is ~/.guix-home/profile.
 >>>>>
 >>>>> Can this extra variable be avoided? Or could it be handled by a 
search
 >>>>> path specification?
 >>>> It's xfce4-panel that needs the search path to load .so files for
 >>>> panel plugins.
 >>>> xfce4-panel already has the search-path set to load them, but since
 >>>> its installed
 >>>> to the system profile,it does not load the user installed plugins. If
 >>>> xfce4-panel
 >>>> was a user installed package it may work but userswould have to
 >>>> manually install it.
 >>>> So I'm not sure how else to solve it.
 >>> What happen when version of xfce4-panel installed in system profile is
 >>> different from installed in home profile?
 >> I think xfce4-panel will be run from $PATH so the system version will
 >> be picked first and the user installed one will be ignored. The search
 >> path will be set but will not work until the user logs out and back in
 >> again, which is not ideal. I'd like a user to be able to install a 
plugin
 >> and have it appear in the settings menu immediately.
 >
 > Hello, when the version of xfce4-panel and its plugins are different,
 > xfce4-panel may crash, unable to start. I think it's best keep them in
 > one profile, and prefer user's profile. Well, the polkit actions need
 > installed into the system profile though.

If the user installs XFCE manually in the profile, I'm not sure it will
find locally installed plugins anyway will it? I haven't tested it. I
use XFCE installed globally via the service.

With XFCE in the local profile it is not possible for a login manager to
detect and launch it, so to use it with a login manager it must be
installed globally, just like on any other distro. I guess that is
acceptable.

Perhaps it is ok to let the user take responsibility for any such
incompatibility that may occur?