Subject: [bug#54434] [PATCH 0/6] XFCE Updates

From: 宋文武 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:16:32 +0800

Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 4/4/22 12:56 pm, Feng Shu wrote:
>> Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> On 3/4/22 8:33 pm, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>>> [...]
>>>> One problem is that this won’t work for those using Guix Home, where the
>>>> default profile is ~/.guix-home/profile.
>>>>
>>>> Can this extra variable be avoided?  Or could it be handled by a search
>>>> path specification?
>>> It's xfce4-panel that needs the search path to load .so files for
>>> panel plugins.
>>> xfce4-panel already has the search-path set to load them, but since
>>> its installed
>>> to the system profile,it does not load the user installed plugins. If
>>> xfce4-panel
>>> was a user installed package it may work but userswould have to
>>> manually install it.
>>> So I'm not sure how else to solve it.
>> What happen when version of xfce4-panel installed in system profile is
>> different from installed in home profile?
> I think xfce4-panel will be run from $PATH so the system version will
> be picked first and the user installed one will be ignored. The search
> path will be set but will not work until the user logs out and back in
> again, which is not ideal. I'd like a user to be able to install a plugin
> and have it appear in the settings menu immediately.

Hello, when the version of xfce4-panel and its plugins are different,
xfce4-panel may crash, unable to start.  I think it's best keep them in
one profile, and prefer user's profile.  Well, the polkit actions need
installed into the system profile though.