Subject: Re: bug#54434: [PATCH 0/6] XFCE Updates

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 12:33:18 +0200

'Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]>
>
>  gnu/packages/xfce.scm (xfce4-session): [patches]: Add a patch to make
>  use of X_XFCE4_LIB_DIRS and load user installed panel plugins. This is
>  needed, because xfce is launched from /run/current-system/.... It will
>  not otherwise load panel plugin .so's from the users home guix profile.
>
>  gnu/packages/patches/xfce4-session-startxfce-load-user-plugins.patch:
>  New file.
>  gnu/local.mk: Reference patch file.

Looks like leading stars disappeared from the commit log.  :-)

> +++ b/gnu/packages/patches/xfce4-session-startxfce-load-user-plugins.patch
> @@ -0,0 +1,20 @@
> +From a1c94934d211d69f9a2cdf03d64327bcd7cccb41 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> +From: Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]>
> +Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:49:12 +1100
> +Subject: [PATCH] startxfce4: load plugins from user profile

A single line stating what the patch does would be enough.

> ++++ b/scripts/startxfce4.in
> +@@ -101,6 +101,8 @@ else
> +   prog=/bin/sh
> + fi
> +
> ++    export X_XFCE4_LIB_DIRS="${GUIX_PROFILE:-$HOME/.guix-profile}/lib/xfce4/${X_XFCE4_LIB_DIRS:+:}$X_XFCE4_LIB_DIRS"

There’s extra space at the beginning of the line.

One problem is that this won’t work for those using Guix Home, where the
default profile is ~/.guix-home/profile.

Can this extra variable be avoided?  Or could it be handled by a search
path specification?

I’ve applied the other patches in the meantime.

Thanks!

Ludo’.